In the article Container Gardening with Purpose – The Cocktail Container by Amy Meinhardt, she shares how she makes a garden container every year, with the specific intention of expanding her culinary portfolio.
Here comes some of the recipes that she has shared. We hope this gives you some inspiration on what to do with all the yummy treats that you can get from your gardening container.
- ½ pint (15 oz. 250g) – cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces (60 ml) vodka
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
- 8-10 basil leaves, stems removed
- pinch cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- dash hot sauce
- juice from half a lemon
- Combine all ingredients but vodka in a blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Fill glass with ice and 2 oz. (60 ml) vodka, top with Bloody Mary mix.
- 1.5 oz. (45 ml) red bell pepper juice (one medium bell pepper, one to three Jalapeno peppers, puree, and strain)
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves, no stems!
- 3 oz. (90 ml) tequila
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons agave or honey
- salt to taste
- Combine all but tequila in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Fill glass with ice and 3 ounces tequila, top with Margarita mix.
- 2-4 Rosemary sprigs
- 1 Lemon, sliced for garnish
- 1.5 oz. (45 ml) gin
- 2 oz. (60 ml) sparkling water chilled
- Simple syrup to taste
- Using a cocktail shaker, add all ingredients but Rosemary and shake until blended.
- Strain into a highball glass containing Rosemary.
Jalapeño Cilantro Lemonade Cocktail
- 2 medium jalapeño chiles, sliced
- 1/4 cup (0,5 dl) fresh cilantro leaves, plus 8 sprigs for garnish
- 16 oz. (470 ml) vodka
- 4 oz. (120 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz. (120 ml) simple syrup
- 33 oz. (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- Add Jalapeños, cilantro to a cocktail shaker and use a muddler to break down peppers and cilantro.
- Add remaining ingredients and ice.
- Shake to mix, strain into glass.
- Garnish with Cilantro leaves.
Lavender Simple Syrup
- 8 oz. (230 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 5 tbsp lavender, dried
Rest of the ingredients
- 1.5 oz. (45 ml) white rum
- 3/4 oz. (20 ml) lime juice
- Bring the Lavender Simple Syrup ingredients to a boil, simmer 20 mins, and strain
- Mix the Lavender Simple Syrup with 1,5 ounce (45 ml) white rum and 3/4 ounces (20 ml) lime juice.
- Add mint leaves and ice to a glass. Add remaining ingredients, stir and enjoy!
Lemon Verbena Gin & Tonic
- 8 ounces (230 ml ) water
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (0,5 dl) verbena leaves
- 4 oz. (120 ml) gin
- 4 oz. (120 ml ) club soda chilled
- 2 oz. (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Add Lemon Verbena to pan. Bring sugar mixture to a boil, stirring gently as needed to dissolve sugar evenly; cook 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat; cool completely. Strain.
- Combine sugar mixture, gin, soda, and juice.
- Serve over ice. Garnish with verbena sprigs.
Get Cooking with Gardenize!
Find more recepies of goodies you can cook, based on vegies from your garden.