Help the lawn recover
Our best tips for the lawn
Has this year’s summer been hard on the lawn? Do you have stains that seem to be completely withered or weeded out by weeds? No danger. Grass is one of the most viable plants we have, so it will come back. With a few simple steps, you will soon have a green lawn again! Here are our tips for the lawn.
5 late summer tips for green lawn
When high summer is over, there is still time to shake life in the lawn, freshen it up and strengthen it for the next season. This is what we usually do:
- When the lawn starts to grow again and is about 5-6 cm long, we mow it carefully, not too short.
- Water for support (unless there is an irrigation ban) and more preferably when it is raining, or shortly after. It sounds tricky, but it actually works and as with most irrigation, it is better to water a lot and rarely, rather than often and a little. Then the roots look deeper and the plants become hardier.
- Weed as soon as it has rained a little. Then the lawn is soft and easy to dig in, in addition, the weeds are clearly visible because it often has roots that go deeper than the grass and therefore are still green so it is easy to see.
- If you have cleared large areas of weeds, you may need to sow in new seeds. There are varieties with mixed seeds that are adapted precisely to cooking lawns. Ask in the store and they will help you.
- Fertilize! The grass is a plant that, like other plants, needs nourishment to develop and feel good. There are many different types of lawn fertilizer, and depending on when in the year you fertilize, you should use different preparations. The later in the year you fertilize, the more potassium and less nitrogen the fertilizer should contain.
Get Gardenize PLUS
Gardenize is an app for gardening and cultivation where you gather information about all your plants, growing places, and activities in the garden.
Gardenize is now also available on the web when you subscribe to our Plus subscription, so you can log in to your computer. Try for free for 14 days!
You can find more information about Gardenize here.
Document your work in Gardenize
If you fertilize the lawn, it is good to note it in Gardenize. Feel free to take a picture of the packaging for the manure you use, so you remember what kind it was. It can be good to know if the result is particularly good or if it turned out to be wrong for some reason.
I have an activity type in Gardenize called “Fertilized” that I use. So I create a New event, with activity type “Fertilized”, the plant “Grass” and the place “The lawn”. To that, I add a picture of the manure used. In this way, I have created a simple memory note of when and with what the lawn was fertilized.
More on Gardenize
Images published on Gardenize’s website belong to Gardenize AB and may not be used without permission.