Gardening activities for January
Welcome to a new garden year! When the chaos of the Holiday Season has subsided, it’s time to start thinking about and planning for the next garden season. Take advantage of the cosy evenings by planning what is to be planted and where to plant it. Remember to use the “Areas” feature in the Gardenzie App to organize as it is easy to get excited and purchase more seeds than you have room to plant! Here are our tips for what to plan for in your garden in January.
PROTECT THE GARDEN FROM THE SNOW
If you have wet snow on bushes and hedges, it can be a good idea to shake off the snow. Otherwise there is a risk that branches will become so heavy that the break and the bushes or hedges lose their shape. Do not walk on your snow-covered lawn unnecessarily. Compressed snow that lies on top of the grass for a long time can give rise to snow mold.
TIME TO START PLANTING
There is still plenty of time to plant before this year’s season. But in January, you can start planting varieties of chili peppers. I also usually like a few small bush tomatoes like Tiny Tim and Vilma. Since these do not get that big, they have room to stay indoors until May then transfer them to the greenhouse.
I also usually take an inventory of what seeds I have left for the previous growing season and start planning my order of new varieties.
6 FAVOURITES TO PLANT IN JANUARY
- Summer carrot
- Tomatoes in pots
THE POTTED PLANTS ARE TIRED
Winter is tough for the potted plants, both the dry indoor air and the lack of daylight make them sad. You may water them gently so that they do not become overwatered, alternatively shower the leaves of green potted plants can help.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR TOOLS
With good garden tools, gardening becomes more fun. In January, it may be time to grease, wash, and grind your garden tools, but also review the lawnmower so that it is in working order and because you tackled this task early there will be plenty of time if repairs are necessary.
OTHER THINGS TO DO
- Remember to water plants that you have put away for winter storage
- Plant new pea shoots regularly
- Feed the birds
- Until the days are longer than the nights, plants need an extra shot of artificial light. Consider investing in a grow light to keep your plants happy and strong.
Gardenize Plus 3.90* EUR/month
With Gardenize Plus you can:
- Use Gardenize on your laptop or desktop computer
- Download your data for free
- Create copies of your own plants
- Save as many plants / areas / events as you want
- Save as many images per plant / area / event as you want
- Draw on pictures Save as many inspirational posts as you want
Find more information about the Gardenize offers here.
* Price valid when you subscribe via Gardenize web-service
More from Gardenize
Images published on the Gardenize website belong to Gardenize AB and may not be used without permission.